Thursday 3 February 2011

Library and other types of loot







I've had a couple of good weeks for loot recently. I've been trying to stay out of the city as the numerous charity shops, discount bookshops and the like hold far too great a pull for my puny will power!
Soooooooo, yesterday after meeting a mate of mine for a catchup lunchtime drink I did some book shopping. Nothing, all my usual haunts were empty of anything tantalising so I hit the library with a passion. Here's what I came away with
Jekkas herb cookbook
Freshly picked- Jojo Tulloh and
On guerrilla gardening by Richard Reynolds

Not bad hey?unfortunately I didn't have the strength to drag back Sarah ravens kitchen garden cookbook or the Stephanie Alexander one but I may do that today.

Then I hit Norwich market for veg for a leek and potato with watercress soup and couldn't resist peeking in on the second hand bookstall at the back where I found
The group by Mary McCarthy, a vmc that I didn't have for £2.50
Whoop I was happy and done.
I don't know if I've ever mentioned the market before hand? It's awesome! At the front are some awesome fish stalls, one is a Rick stein food hero. Then there's a couple of fruit and veg stalls one of which is organic.
A herb and spice stall is a fave of mine aswell as a couple of family butchers and pickerings a sausage stall with the best selection including gluten free sausages.
There is. An Asian food stall which is the only place in norwich where I've ever seen holy basil along with banana flavoured pocky.
You can probably tell that I can spend a while there, oh and I forgot to mention the cheese stall and if your hungry whilst your there either go to Ron's chip stall for the best fish and chips in the city which are nicely priced or have a hog roast from the store opposite, you won't be disappointed!
I don't normally bother with the bag stalls and their ilk, but if it floats your boat you'll be in heaven.
After all this I decided to head home after popping in on a friend at work, this put in the direction of another charity shop which of course I popped my head in on which was where I found
Jamie at home for £3.95 and
A wolf in the kitchen by lindsay bareham for 1.95

A great day for books but an absolute bugger to walk home with!

My other finds last week were some evie journals from the 1930's for a pound each of which I've got four alongside some vintage patterns from the 1950's for a pound each of which I've got 5.
Overall a great couple of weeks for loot dontcha think? If anyones interested I'll try to get some pics up of the vintage items if I can get my camera to work soon.

2 comments:

  1. The group is wonderful - I think you'll enjoy it, and I like the idea of watercress in leek and potato soup...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be posting the recipe up soon, along with other goodies I've cooked soon.

    ReplyDelete