Wednesday 12 January 2011

Finally







So at last I'm back in my blogging shoes and I've finally watched Julie and Julia.
The watching of this was twofold, A, I'd been meaning to watch it for a while and I thought that maybe I'd overdone the supernatural watching that I got over Christmas. If you like supernatural I'm a Dean kinda gal by the way, not one for the goody goody boys.
Annnd then I decided I needed something to inspire me to love my blog again, I've missed it but it's kinda like snogging someone again after you've been through a very long dry patch. You know you like it but your kinda nervous about doing it again, do you remember how to do it? Have you left it too long and will they be able to tell that you haven't done it for ages?
With blogging the answers yes as every-things dated, but hey I'm back.
So onwards and outwards with my thoughts on this, firstly I'm going, to say what a great idea for a blog Julie powell had!
A while ago she was getting a load of stick from other food bloggers on the Internet , to be honest it seemed a lot like jealousy to me. She is living the bloggers dream isn't she after all? I found an article on it over here at will write for food, an amazing resource for food bloggers!
Obviously the first thing that you wonder whilst watching the film is "what book would I cook from for a year?"
Nigel Slater's kitchen diaries is probably my number 1 choice although with nige's emphasis on eating the correct thing at the right moment I think that he would hate someone trying to cook like him for a year.
Probably the closest British equivalent would be good ole Delia Smith, I compare her to Julia because of how thorough they both are with their recipes.
True Delia did let us down with her how to cheat book but if I was to pick one of her books to cook from for a year I'd pick her classic cookery course book.
After a year of that you would have a very good grounding in cooking indeed.
Now one line in the film that annoyed me was Julia child declaring that there were no French cookery books available in English.
True if she started compiling her book in 1950 there wasn't much around, but in 1951 French country cooking by Elizabeth David was released. Then in 1960 David released her seminal work French provincial cooking a whole year before mastering the art of French cooking was released.
Now both these women had very different styles of writing Child was a very specific recipe writer from the cordon bleu style where's David's style was based on the everyday cooking of France and her recipes were often nothing more than creative outlines which were also able to be read like a novel.
I would love to know if these two formidable women ever met in real life, they would either have loved each other or there would have been great amnomisity, probably all from david's side as from most accounts she was a hard to get on with woman.
I feel that if anymore cooking from a book or author site should appear that it should be an Elizabeth David one as we only recently got to see how amazing her food could look in the new book at Elizabeth david's table. So if anyones reading this please? I would love to see this and would be a regular reader.
So I haven't given a full proper review of the film yet I realise, and the reason would be that the idea is actually more interesting than the film itself.
It was a perfectly pleasant film but I somehow felt it was lacking something. Some more drama or plotting maybe? Or maybe it just wasn't that suitable for a movie?
I think that it wasn't helped by the fact that I wasn't particularly taken with the actress who played Julie, she seems rather twee and doesn't seem to particularly do anything.
I haven't read the book yet but I will get round to it very soon indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment